I truly do.
Two years ago on Thursday, I took a huge leap of faith and left my high-paying job to come to a non-profit. It's a huge non-profit, but still. I took a $25,000 pay cut in exchange for a much shorter commute and less stress. I talked myself into it by reminding myself that you cannot put a pricetag on quality of life.
The first year was challenging. I didn't hit my stride right away. Despite the fact that I was using much the same skillset, I floundered a bit. I second-guessed my decision. I despaired over the lower and less frequent paychecks. I filled my extra time with more classes and clients at the Y, but I still felt unfulfilled.
But sometime in the past year, things started to change. I dove into more meaty projects at work. I started to make my mark here. I let myself relax about the money and started to bond more with my coworkers.
And much more importantly, I started to really live the mission. I now have much more contact with some of the children we serve here, and I love that contact. It absolutely makes my day when one of them calls out to me in the hallways or comes to visit me (even if, like today, his only purpose in visiting was to grub some candy off me). :) A few of the kids spontaneously hug me when they see me, and that fills me with joy.
I recently emailed a friend, "How could I possibly think about leaving here to work somewhere else for more money???" I couldn't. Not right now, anyway. I would miss my coworkers, even the ones who drive me a little nuts. I would feel guilt over leaving behind the mission -- to inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible, and caring citizens.
And I would not be able to forgive myself for walking away from these kids. These remarkable, resilient, intelligent, sensitive, wonderful kids.
I am so lucky. I have found my calling. How many people can say that?
4 comments:
Best feeling ever. I'm glad you found it. :)
Not many and I'm glad you found it. I am always miffed by people who say they 'love' their job. I have no clue what that means.
Not sure I ever will.
Good post. Thanks!
That's awesome! I hope after I finish school it isn't all for naught and can find a job as fulfilling as you have.
Awesome :) I'm really glad you've found your calling in the work world
Post a Comment