... and all is right with the world again.
I was planning to do a big group ride tonight. I've ridden with this group once, two years ago, and they are VERY aggressive. Tonight was my first free Tuesday night since April 20, and I summoned all my courage to join them.
Until I talked to M, my running and biking partner, who said that her coach (IronEx!) has her doing trainer workouts only this week, so no group ride for her. (We both are doing the same sprint tri on Saturday.) I offered to join her and asked what the workout was, and she said it was 35 minutes of biking on the trainer followed by a 1-mile run at 5K pace.
I was disappointed, as I really wanted a longer workout. I mean, that was going to be less than 45 minutes!
Well, what M failed to tell me was that it wasn't just any 35-minute bike ride. It was pure hell. All drills, tempo work, etc. And she also failed to mention that she apparently can't add. She forgot to include the recoveries!
Of course, I didn't know that until it was too late... so I got to her house early, set up my bike, set out my bike shoes like a race day scenario, and took off on a short run. 1.32 miles in 10:26 (7:55 pace). So far, so good.
And then I got on the bike and sweat more than I've ever sweat before. We were grunting, cursing, and basically dying on our bikes for 51+ minutes.
After which we still had to run a tempo mile! Which I ran in 7:16, thankyouverymuch.
And now I feel great. Relieved. Exhausted, to be sure. Confident. Vindicated, as ridiculous as that sounds. I have been beating myself up so badly for the past several weeks. To know that I'm still capable of such a great workout -- and such good paces -- despite my less than stellar training... well, it feels mighty fine.
Maybe Saturday's race won't be as disastrous as I've been fearing. Maybe it'll be OK after all.
1 comment:
Way to go Alexis!
Post a Comment