Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Cancer? No way.

It can't be. I won't accept it.

Let me backtrack. I went for a routine mammogram on February 11. Nothing major; I'm over 40 (sob!), and I'm supposed to go every year. The mammography place called on February 13 and left a message for me to call back. When I did, they said the radiologist had seen something on my left breast and wanted me to come back in for more scans and possibly ultrasound. The first available appointment was February 20. That's good, right? They didn't rush me in the same day.

When I went back on the 20th, they took four more scans and two ultrasounds. I was there for 2.5 hours! I met with the radiologist, who showed me there's a clear... something... on my left breast. Solid? Liquid? Heck if I know. But there's definitely something there. He sent the results to my primary doc, who called me HIMSELF the next day, worried and very concerned. He's the first person who said the word "lump." The radiology folks kept saying "spot," not "lump." Ugh.

The primary doc referred me to a surgeon. Luckily, they were able to take me right away. I met with him Monday morning with IronHubby. The surgeon recommends a biopsy to see what the lump is made of.

My biopsy is Monday, March 10. And then I won't know any results until 3-5 days after that.

I hate waiting.

In the meantime, I refuse to believe it's anything bad. It's probably a cyst. No big deal. Women deal with this all.the.time. I'm not the first woman to experience this, and I won't be the last.

If it is bad, though, I told IronHubby last night I'm going to Ireland. I *will* meet Bono if it's literally the last thing I do. I'm not joking.

No comments: