Thursday, February 26, 2009

Funniest running bet ever

I saw a friend of IronHubby's at the Y the other night. He was limping a bit, so I asked if he was OK and chatted for a minute. Even though he was in obvious pain, he said he had to keep running because he was on a plan. I must have looked confused, because he asked, "You didn't hear about the bet???" I hadn't, so he explained.

His wife Carol is a pretty good runner. She's consistently a little bit faster than me (probably comparable to Maria). OK, better than pretty good. :) Anyway, Joe bet her in November that he could beat her in a 5K in June. Since November, he's been working his butt off, literally. He's lost 20 pounds and has gone from a 29 minute 5K to 24:30 so far (all on a treadmill... more on that later). Meanwhile, Carol's typical 5K time is in the 22-23 minute range.

Here's the funny part.

If JOE wins the bet, Carol has to get implants. (!!!!!!!!)
If CAROL wins, Joe has to get a part-time job and donate every penny he makes to charity.

Go Carol, go!!!!

When I told IronHubby about the bet, of course he cracked up (don't get any ideas, buddy!). He said, "But Joe's time is on a treadmill! That isn't comparable to outside. Did you explain to him?" I replied, "I'm not telling him nothing! I want her to win!!!"

Let's start our own bet. I am willing to bet $20 that IronHubby calls Joe to offer his coaching services for free. :)

3 comments:

Maria said...

ha ha ha ...so funny! Go Carol Go!!!

sneakersister said...

Wow! I LOVE that bet! How awesome is that? And if they wife wins, how long do you think that part-time job will last? Please let us know when your DH give the husband a call.

Theia said...

I should add that I am willing to further bet that IronHubby tries to convince me to engage in the same wager as Joe and Carol's. Ummm, no. Not. Gonna. Happen.