Thursday, April 14, 2011

You may have noticed a lack of reported workouts this week

That's because I managed to injure myself. Grrrr.

See where it says Weights under 4/11/2011? Yeah, apparently I thought it would be a brilliant idea to completely and totally overdo the chin-ups on Monday. I used the assisted dip/pull-up machine -- the one that has the pad you kneel on and then do either dips or pull-ups/chin-ups. You know which one I mean?


















It's the only machine in the gym with an inverse weight ratio -- the less weight you select, the harder it is. That's because the weight represents how much of your body weight you are subtracting (or asking the machine to do for you).

The last few times I've done dips on that machine, I've put the pin at 50 (so I'm dipping 100 pounds). I thought it would be a good idea to do 70 for some chin-ups... so 80 pounds for me to hoist up. The first set went pretty well; I cranked out 10 reps and slowed down toward the end, so that was perfect. The second set, I managed only 8. And they were a tough 8. So I told myself to just do 7 in the third set so I'd end up with a pretty number of 25 total reps. Well, I did one better than that and again did 8 reps, but they were brutal.

But not as brutal as the pain I have caused since.

Holy. Hell.

My lats are so sore that it hurts when my clothes touch them. I can't reach over my head or forward. Try getting dressed or even putting on a raincoat under those circumstances. Yeah, not easy. Taking a deep breath hurts, as does leaning back on anything (even pillows). I can't straighten my arms all the way, particularly my left arm. By the end of the day yesterday, my left arm was bent at 90 degrees. I looked like I was wearing an invisible sling. Today I can straighten it about 75% of the way. Progress! D and I think I may have strained a ligament on the inside of my elbow.

But my back. Oh my goodness, my back!

Needless to say, I haven't done anything remotely resembling exercise since Monday night. You cannot imagine how much that pisses me off.

In other news, the playoffs may have started last night, technically speaking... but the real excitement begins tonight. GO FLYERS!

1 comment:

oldrunningfox. said...

Ouch!! I can sympathize with you there having suffered a painful bad back for many a year. But fortunately I can still bend my arm to raise a celebratory glass of wine when I've defeated the pain and been for a run!