Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I did a headstand in yoga last night

This was me.


























She actually could be me, except my boobs and butt are bigger than hers. But I digress.

Toward the end of class last night, the instructor told us to move our mats to the walls with the short end of the mat against the wall. She then said we were going to do headstand (which I've never even tried to do before) and that she'd walk us through it and give us [easier] options if we opted not to do it.

I'm pretty much game for anything, and I LOVE to challenge myself, so I figured I'd try one for the first time, fail epically, and then take one of the options. But at least I'd know that I tried, and next time maybe I'd do a little better.

Imagine my surprise when I went through the steps (kneel facing the wall, hands and arms in position with hands locked and placed a few inches away from the wall, cradle the head in the hands, go to a mini downward dog position, then bend one knee and lift the foot in the air, then the other) and found myself WITH MY LEGS IN THE AIR, balancing on my head and forearms. I was in the front of the room -- Type A and all -- and as she walked around to check us, I was the first one she came to. As she was approaching to help me, I was already in the position. "Good, you're there!" is what she said.

I know it's a little thing, but it really pleased me to be able to do this pose. It seems so... I dunno... advanced.

(Of course, my dismount from the pose was less than graceful. It's something to work on.) :)

7 comments:

Julie said...

You are a total stud. I was so chicken the first time I tried to do a handstand in yoga class. I was so scared -- of what I still do not know...LOL! I couldn't do it! Just couldn't bring myself to go upside down.

Finally, like two weeks later, I worked up the courage to try it with assistance from a fellow scaredy-cat. Holy crap, the yoga instructor almost went ballistic that we were helping each other. Apparently we were supposed to do it ALL ALONE. For crying out loud, lady, gimme a break. Hahahah!!

So awesome that YOU were used as the example too, so-to-speak! YAY!!! Hee-hee!!

Theia said...

Julie, you need to seek out kinder yoga instructors! I hate the classes where the instructor and participants take themselves soooooooo seriously. Really, people? We are not curing cancer here. We're doing freaking yoga. heheheehe

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Wow, I am impressed, but I wont be trying that

Thank goodness for hockey season, GO WINGS!!!!

Ransick said...

Congrats! I'm with Big Daddy, I won't be trying it either. I could see how coming out of that position would be awkward.

Ayesha97 said...

headstands and handstands are some of my favorite poses! LOVE IT! :D

Maria said...

When my fav instructor talks us through headstand (and handstand) prep she makes mention of the meaning behind "it takes guts" - very helpful in moving past the fear and trusting your center. Nice job!

Rudy Martinez said...

Great job!!!

Was your dismount accompanied by the word "Timberrrrrrrr!!!"????