Thursday, September 18, 2008

Favorite songs

Music is a huge part of my life. The right song can transport me to another time in my life, lift (or lower) my mood, and remind me of people and places in my past. A former boss once called me Alexis "Tunes Are My Life" Insert-Last-Name-Here, and she wasn't too far off the mark.

Because music is so important to me, I love sharing it with loved ones. I enjoy making CDs and picking the perfect songs for that person, whether it's because the lyrics are meaningful or appropriate, or the song means a lot to me and I want to share it with him or her, or it's just a song that I think they may not know but will like.

At work we were talking about our favorite ten songs. That's nearly impossible for me. How do I pick just 10 songs? I can't even narrow down my top 10 U2 songs, much less my top 10 everything songs.

I'll try, though.

10. California Dreamin', The Mamas and the Papas. This song takes me back to junior year of college when I spent one semester in Southern California. Lots of great memories and a very significant semester for me in terms of personal growth, as it was the longest I've ever been away from my family and friends.

9. Night Fire Dance, Andreas Vollenweider. My ultimate mellow out tune. It calms me and lifts my mood every time.

8. Love and Peace or Else, U2. Great theme, great kick at the end, and UNBELIEVABLE live. The best song on the last tour by far. Very powerful.

7. Late in the Evening, Paul Simon. Something about this song makes me really happy. I love the Latin influence at the end. I love the lyrics. I can listen to this song over and over and over without getting sick of it.

6. Go, Pearl Jam. I have to hear this song before every race I do. It pumps me up like no other song or pre-race ritual can. I even sing it to myself during my races when I need a pick-me-up.

5. Kiss, Prince. How can you hear this song and NOT sing and dance? I hear it and picture myself in my car with Mom, dancing and singing at the top of our lungs while we're driving up the NJ Turnpike to New York.

4. How Soon Is Now?, The Smiths. So dark. So moody. So depressing. I love it.

3. Black, Pearl Jam. I cry every single time I hear this song. Involuntary tears.

2. Where the Streets Have No Name, U2. This song was playing as I crossed the finish line of my first (and only) marathon. Bono was there for me when I needed him most. Another song that makes me cry uncontrollably.

1. Here Comes the Sun, The Beatles. I love its optimism and hopefulness. This song simply makes me happy. And that's why it will always be #1.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Where the Streets Have No Name--I'll forever remember U2's superbowl performance post 9/11. I love that song too. Your songs are very cool. Mine are embarrassing, lol!

Stephen said...

Great list. I'm not sure I could do that. I like such a wide variety of music, but often don't even pay attention to artist or song names unless I want to go buy the song so I can't tell you even what song is on the radio at any given point, but I can tell you if I like it or not. I read an article once about someone's favorite 100 they were going to put on their new iPOD. That was a good read too.