I have a newfound respect for race directors. (Well, most of them anyway. Local folks will know what/who I'm talking about.) :)
You have no idea how much work goes into a race until you're on the planning end of one. Sponsors, permits, mile markers, timing equipment, volunteers, food, prizes, advertising, clean up... The list is endless. Hug your race director today. I'm serious!
The inaugural Run 4 Mike's Kids was a great success, especially considering we planned it in less than a month. I believe we had 110 runners from about age 11 to 60+. The weather was glorious, and despite a few glitches the race went off really well.
My personal goal was to beat 32 minutes for a sub 8 average pace. (That was my goal even before the poll a few weeks ago. You guys just helped confirm it.) I started off way too fast because I stupidly was trying to keep up with someone I had no business trying to keep up with, and I wasted a good bit of energy cheering for people during mile 3 because I could see them after the turnaround. But otherwise, I was pleased.
My splits were ugly (see reasons listed above):
7:30 (too fast!)
7:48 (more like it)
8:04 (ack! shut up and run, Theia!)
7:44 (perfection!)
Total time, according to my watch, was 31:06. YES!
Many, many thanks to Jimmy W for suggesting the race and for being such a great leader in helping to plan it, the committee of Matt O, Joe L, Andrea L, Michelle N, and Mike M who worked so hard the past few weeks to organize everything, the volunteers who woke up so early on a holiday to help out, and of course the 110 runners who entrusted us with their workouts.
This was the first Run 4 Mike's Kids, but it certainly was not the last.
1 comment:
I'm so there next year!
Post a Comment