Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Shaggy ran away

Don't worry, the story has a happy ending. I just had a heart attack in the meantime!!!

This morning I skipped my planned swim in order to get to a work meeting earlier. Miss Shaggy was very excited when I came downstairs all dressed in warm clothes... so excited that she ran out the front door when I opened it to take out the recycling!

My first instinct was to chase after her, until I realized (a) I didn't have her leash with me, and (b) I wasn't wearing a coat! After retrieving both items, I set out after her, deciding to pretend that I wasn't mad.

"Shaggy!" I called out, trying to sound as friendly and non-threatening as possible. It worked! She was a few houses down (luckily AWAY from the main road and deeper into the neighborhood instead of vice versa) and stopped when she heard me. I held up her leash and said, "Wanna go for a walk?" She actually took about 5 steps toward me and then stopped to sniff something. I just kept walking toward her, talking in a soothing way. "Come on, Boo, let's go for a walk!"

That silly dog actually waited for me! I couldn't believe it! She just stood there until I got to her.

Of course, she was rewarded with a little smack across her snout for running away in the first place, followed by multiple hugs and kisses for not continuing to run. She must have thought I was a complete psycho.

After she had a nice long walk and some playtime with Brodie across the street, I brought her home and gave her a treat. When I tried to pet her, she flinched. Oh, the guilt!

I'm a horrible mom. :(

1 comment:

Mary said...

A horrible mom wouldn't have gone after her. A horrible mom wouldn't have cared one way or the other. A horrible mom wouldn't have had a dog who waited and didn't keep running.

So there.

She flinched out of remembered guilt (yes - I am major anthropomorphizer) not out of remembered punishment.

I call.