He came to me in a dream. Or maybe I had one of those weird out-of-body experiences that people talk about. Or maybe I'm still a bit tipsy from too much Grey Goose consumed in his honor last night.
No matter, I saw him. I got to talk to him. He'd been revived on the one year anniversary of his death to provide us with a chance to talk to him. I asked him what heaven was like, and his reply was, "This was heaven. Being here with all of you. My work with the kids. Don't you get it? Earth is heaven."
I told him about what had been going on with me in the one year since I'd seen him, mainly about my nose. As I talked about it, he kept showering my face and especially my nose with kisses. Not sexual or romantic kisses. All I felt was pure love from him.
After a weird and random series of dream events (people from other areas of my life showing up, suddenly being in a house instead of the hospital, a very drunk and angry IronHubby, and tearfully finding out that Mike was going to be let go again), I found him again and suddenly was in a car in Rehoboth with him, my friend Resha, and a small child (I don't know whose... whoever was driving the car). I said I had one more question for him. Did he see God when he died? Was it like people say, with bright, comforting white light and God and your loved ones calling to you, welcoming you?
He said, "Oh no. Nothing like that. It's... kinda boring."
Now, this is completely contrary to what I believe. I believe there's more after this life. I believe heaven is a joyous and happy place, free from pain, from suffering, from regrets, from sorrow. I believe you do reconnect with loved ones who have gone before you.
However, I also believe that messages and lessons come to us from all directions, and that part of our job on this earth is to listen and be receptive to them. So here's what I think Mike was sent to tell me.
Live every day to its fullest
Appreciate what you have
Tell people how you feel about them
Do meaningful work, and be proud of what you do
Never take anything for granted
Thanks, Mike, for coming back to me. I miss you all the time, but I now know that you really are still here with us.
3 comments:
Your post made me tear up.
But you are right (or Mike is). You've had so much going on the past year, I think Mike's message to you is exactly right. Slow down and enjoy every moment.
WOW. That is a powerful dream. Sorry for your loss (even if it happened last year) and congrats on all the great things you have been doing!
Keep living life to its fullest!
I just read that. What a dream. I have a very strong dream life and have had crazy vivid and thought provoking dreams, so i totally get it. What a strong dream to have. Wow.
Post a Comment