I'm injured. Again.
It's my glute. Again.
Actually, that's not entirely true. It's BOTH glutes now. (Hey, I'm a Libra! I need to be balanced, even in my injuries.)
Remember last year how I tore my right glute (and had a smaller tear in my hamstring)? During the second run of the July 4 duathlon, my left glute was really hurting. Yes, the left this year. I didn't try to run again until that Sunday, and I turned around after 4 minutes because I could tell the planned 8 miles were going to do more damage than good. Honestly, the pain in the left glute was not as bad as what I experienced for months and months last year with my right glute, but I knew as I set off on that run that it could easily get to that point if I wasn't smart.
Since then, I have run a total of about a quarter mile as part of boot camp class (did not go well -- pain galore!) and have seen a sports massage therapist and a chiropractor. The problems, it appears, are many.
1. My hamstrings are very tight.
2. My hip flexors are apparently the tightest in America. Seriously, I couldn't win a cool award? I have to win Miss Tight Hip Flexor USA???
3. As a result of the super-tightest-worst hip flexors, my glutes don't activate the way they are supposed to.
4. My left hip flexor is apparently even worse than my right, causing my hips to be uneven and creating an unnatural tilt in my pelvis.
5. I'm old.
(#5 is not just self-mocking. My advanced age is working against me here. The massage therapist very kindly pointed out that my body at 46 is very different than my body at 26 was. The cumulative effects of all those miles and all the thousands of classes I've taught over the years are taking a toll on me now.)
6. I do too much sitting at work. Worse yet, my desk setup isn't even remotely ergonomically friendly, causing me to twist in my desk chair to see my second monitor.
7. I may be adding to the problem by always unclipping my right foot during cycling and then using my left leg (and, you guessed it, hip flexor) to get going again.
8. Doing three races in 2.5 weeks was probably not the smartest thing I've ever done.
Here's the thing, though. Based on that list, you would think my left glute would be SO much more painful than my right. Other than during the two short runs I've attempted since July 4, it's my right glute that's bothering me again. Last night I taught a step aerobics class and kept my step lower than normal. Afterward, I limped around the house for the rest of the night because my right glute hurt so bad. What, it can't stand that the left side was getting a bit of attention and wanted to make its presence known again??? Seriously.
So, the upshot is no running or yoga for at least 2 weeks while we try to get this under control through vitamins, better posture, some key glute activation exercises, foam rollering (it's a word), and better seated posture.
I can count the aborted run on July 7 as the beginning of the two weeks, right??? ;)
3 comments:
Well crap! That's not supposed to happen. Hope you massages, rollering, and massages get you running again soon. Getting old sucks but it beats the alternative :-)
Drat! I've decided that getting older sucks.
I would be much more interested in watching the Miss Loose Hip-Flexor pageant, but that's just me.
Post a Comment