2003 - Ran the Broad Street Run with a friend who failed to tell me (a) she was on the Atkins Diet, and (b) she had done the fat fast the entire week prior to the race. It became the Broad Street Walk when she couldn't even make it to the first mile marker. Broad Street 1, Theia 0.
2006 - Ran the Broad Street Run with two friends, got separated pretty quickly, and got to about the 10K mark before I went up on the sidewalk to pass after getting boxed in by the crowd, rolled my ankle off said sidewalk, and went down in a heap. Sprained ankle, sprained Achilles tendon, and two torn ligaments in my foot. Broad Street 2, Theia 0.
2007 - Started to train for the Broad Street Run until my doctor strongly advised against doing any distance running. He was a fertility doctor. I was in my second round of (unsuccessful) fertility treatments, so I promptly dropped out of my training. Broad Street 3, Theia 0.
2008 - My revenge race.
I followed my coach's training plan of 4 runs per week and added all my usual cross-training and classes -- anywhere from 3-8 fitness classes (indoor and outdoor boot camp, step aerobics, Spinning) and 1-3 days of weights each week. When race day arrived, I felt pretty good. I was confident I could finish in 1:27 but hoped I'd be closer to 1:25. My stretch goal was 1:23, but I knew that'd be challenging.
Clock time = 1:31:55
Chip time = 1:27:16
Actual running time (subtracting a 1 minute pee break behind a dumpster) = 1:26:15
Lots of lessons learned yesterday.
Bad
1. I'm not nearly sore enough today, which clearly tells me I had more to give yesterday. I could have and should have pushed harder.
2. My nutrition was Teh Suck. I felt hungry and weak at about Mile 6. Must work on better nutrition the day/night before and the morning of a big race.
3. Cherry caffeinated sport beans apparently upset my stomach. :(
Good
1. For once, my pacing was pretty much spot on. I'm very pleased.
8:49 (so crowded! plus I wanted to start easy)
8:39
8:41
9:44 (aforementioned pee break)
8:32 (water)
8:37
8:39 (water)
8:35 (Gatorade)
8:29
8:28
2. I got a 5+ minute PR over my only other 10-mile race this past January.
3. I actually finished and stayed upright the entire 10 miles!
Best of all
1 comment:
Most excellent racing!!!! 5 minutes is an awesome PR in only a couple of months.
Post a Comment