Sunday, September 28, 2008

A great day to be a Philadelphia sports fan

















Yesterday was an outstanding day for Philly folks. Bro and I went to the final NHL game ever to be played in the Spectrum, the Flyers' old arena and the site of too many memories to list -- two Flyers championships, a Sixers championship, concerts, concerts, and more concerts, Disney shows with my cousins when they were very young... the list goes on and on.

















As you can see, our seats were amazing: 11th row, between the red line and the blue line.

One of the highlights of the game -- for me, anyway -- was watching my favorite player, Mike Richards, receive his captain shirt in front of the fans and 11 of the past 15 Flyer captains.

















Our new captain lived up to expectations, scoring not one but TWO shorthanded goals.

The game ended in a 4-2 win for my Flyboys, some tears of nostalgia, and a very hoarse throat. :) (Pre-season, schmee season. Doesn't matter to me; I'm going to cheer for my team no matter what the date is.)

















After the game, bro and I got our picture taken in front of the ice for the last time.

















Last night, I watched most of the Phillies game as they won the NL East for the second consecutive year. And tonight, my Eagles will crush Da Bears! A very good weekend to be a Philly sports fan, indeed.

Monday edit: Stupid #%&< Eagles! :|

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess I shoulda went to that Flyers-Devils game in Philly last year after all. I thought the Wachovia Center was a new arena. Didnt realize it was the Spectrum with a corporate name. Then again, what do I know, its the Flyers ;-)
Great seats btw!

Theia said...

Frankie -- the Wachovia Center is the newer arena. The Wachovia Spectrum is the old one that's being torn down in the spring. :( I'll be one of the wackos in the parking lot trying to collect bricks and seats!

Anonymous said...

So will the Phantoms and the Fyers share the Wachovia Center once the Spectrum is gone? ( btw, every time I see the name Wachovia I think of the name you said people refer to it as =) )