Thursday, September 4, 2008

The sleep gods are conspiring against me

I've been averaging probably 4 hours of sleep a night recently (possibly less this past weekend, for a variety of reasons). Last night I slept relatively well, waking up only 3 times during the night. My alarm went off at 5:20 so I could feed all the critters, get dressed, and get myself to the Y to meet Laura S, my favoritest client ever. While I was standing in the kitchen, I thought I heard IronHubby call my name from the top of the stairs so I walked over to see if he was indeed standing there. I couldn't see a thing, but he must have either seen me or sensed my presence because he told me my phone had been going off.

Yup, you guessed it. Laura wasn't feeling well and asked to reschedule.

Crud! An extra hour of sleep wasted.

The only good news is that it gave me time to ice my knee. That's right, I torqued my knee last night in my second class. To be honest, it hurt a tiny bit Tuesday during my second run -- I ran 2.5 miles to the Y, worked out there, and then ran 2.5 home -- but it wasn't at all debilitating or worrisome. Last night was another story, however. I actually had to stop, sit down on my step, and just talk them through the final choreography. What's weird is that it didn't hurt AT ALL during the first class, in which we did tons of plyometrics and leg stuff. But halfway through my step class I felt it and lowered my step to 6" instead of 8" high, and later in the class when we finally put all the choreo together I screamed in pain and just sat down.

I iced it twice last night and was hoping that would magically take care of it, but this morning it's still very tender and sore.

[Insert curse words of your choice here. Chances are I've said them all in the past 11 hours. Even when I was sleeping.] :)

Maybe the sleep gods and the knee gods are in cahoots.

3 comments:

sauconRunner said...

Take some benedryl. When I was pregnant the doctors said I could use it for insomnia. It worked.

(((Knee)))

Jen said...

Oh the sleep gods have been plaguing me too! I'm sorry because I can't imagine having an injury to boot! Take some time to heal!

sneakersister said...

I'm sorry to hear that you have been having such a horrible time sleeping. I went through horrible insomnia in my 20's and it's really rough. Hang in there!