Monday, May 23, 2011

So, the world didn't end Saturday after all

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you. I mean, how can that whackjob
freako nutbag person be so wrong about Judgment Day, not once but twice? How can that be, when God himself is talking directly to him? It just doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe I should send him some money to help the cause. :rolleyes:

Ahem. I'm done with the sarcasm. For now.

I must say that I'm very glad the world didn't end. See my last post for some of the reasons why.

Last week was my first week of official coaching. I'm convinced my coach is a sadist, but his results speak for themselves. I'm willing to stick with it if he can get me to the finish line of an Olympic distance tri in less than 3 hours, and I think he can.

This week I need to get my head ready for Sunday's race, the Alexandria Running Festival Half Marathon. I haven't done a HM in more than 18 months, and I'm having serious doubts about my ability. Right now I'm in the stage of "I can't possibly run at an 8:40 pace when my average training pace has been 9:xx." See? I have to get my head ready. My legs and lungs are there. My head is not.

If nothing else, though, the half marathon training has really improved my endurance, so my first week of tri training wasn't nearly as painful as it could have been. Two hour bike ride? No problem. Intervals of 300 yards in the pool (the longest intervals I'd done prior were 100s)? Got it.

Meanwhile, yay for taper week! :)

3 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I couldnt fit the end of the world in my schedule, I was just too busy, sounds like it was a bust anyways.

Olympic distance is my favorite distance to race, and the training is fun too. Its short enough to practice speed, but long enough that it doesnt feel painful like a sprint

Jess B said...

I think you can do it. My training pace is ALWAYS slower than my race pace unless I am doing sprints but that is a while different kind of running. Be positive, keep your mind positive. I know you can do it. If you don't, don't get down on yourself just be glad you did another HM and there is always another one. Can't wait to hear about it.

Ransick said...

Nice to see your run training helping with the bike and swim. Good luck on your HM. You'll do great!

If you put the time in for your Oly plan, you should be able to beat 3 hours no problem.