And it involves two very narrow wheels!
I am pretty much not running right now. It hurts way too much and for way too long after the fact (case in point: Tuesday morning's slow-ass 3.5 mile jog caused Tuesday night's vinyasa yoga class to nearly make me scream in pain and still caused some discomfort during Wednesday morning's swim). Even though I'm not racing this year -- really, I'm not... even though I really really want to, now that I basically can't (wtf?) -- I decided I needed to haul my fat ass on my bike to at least keep my cardio conditioning relatively high. That way, if I'm ever able to run without pain again, I won't die after a mile or two.
So I've been keeping up with the biking -- the part of my sport that has become my least favorite, the part that frankly I thought I'd never do again. (Remember the hockey post? I seriously thought about selling my bike to get the money to buy all the hockey equipment I need. That's how disenchanted I'd become with cycling.)
Let's get one thing straight. I'm not spending hours and hours and miles and miles on my bike. I'm doing one short ride and one long ride per week, and by long I mean 30ish miles. Basically, the rides replaced runs in my schedule. But somehow, those rides have made the difference in how I look and feel. We threw away yet another unreliable scale this spring, so I have no idea how much I weigh right now. I was at my all-time heaviest when the scale throwing-away took place, however, and I know I'm lighter and tighter than I was then.
Best of all, I'm fitting into my size sixes again. As a curvy and muscular woman of 5'9" (sniff! already old enough to be shrinking and down an inch from my former height of 5'10"), I am thrilled to be able to squeeze into a 6!
So, the moral of the story is... get on your damn bike and ride like the wind, people! Assuming you're like me, that is, and are stuck in the eternal and frustrating cycle of never being quite satisfied with your weight.
Note to self: add a third ride each week.
6 comments:
OK OK OK, I will get on my bike!!!
Now you can click the "That Was Easy" button for me
Aquabikes, just saying
YAY for leaning out!!! That is so awesome!!! We are like big kids sometimes, eh? As soon as you are not racing, you WANT to race. hee-hee!
I threw out my scale years ago -- I do go over to my Mom's and weigh myself occasionally now and you know the weird thing with me is that I continue to weigh the same although I have lost swimsuit sizes. 132lbs. And I am 5'6" (and 3/4 -- almost 7" lol) Never changes. So weird, I am heavier than I was when I did my first IM (128lbs) but am 3 swimsuit sizes smaller. WTF is up with that? Sometime you can't go by the scale, eh?
Time for you to buy some SWEET new size 6 pink stuff!!!!!! :) :) And post pics too of course. :)
I've started bike commuting 2 days a week... I am the slowest biker in the Twin Cities (seriously, portly hipsters on fixies routinely pass me). I'm much happier since switching to a 4 day per week running schedule.
Any chance we can bring you to the dark side & you'll start over barefoot (ok, ok, minimally-shod. I wear moccasins) running?
With those kind of results you are going to start to like cycling soon!
BDD, there's a race in 2 weeks that I would have considered (an aquabike). $95!!! What the ?? Shouldn't it be less expensive since it's only two sports, not three? :)
Julie, you're probably more muscular! Same weight, but more muscle = smaller frame.
Sage, my feet need all the support they can get!
Mike, I hope you're right!
Post a Comment